Captain C. W. and Mary Rogers, for whom the town was named, owned the land on which this building now sits. Mary sponsored the construction of a church on this property in 1881.
Meanwhile, in 1907, R. H. Whitlow founded the Mutual Aid Union insurance company to offer affordable life insurance to individuals in Arkansas and the surrounding states. At the time, this type of life insurance was not readily available for the average local farmer and worker.
In 1911, Whitlow, along with John E. Felker and J. W. Walker, bought this property for $4,000 and commissioned architect A. O. Clarke to build the current neo-classical style building. Clarke, born in New York in 1859, was a well-known architect throughout Arkansas, Kansas, and Missouri. Clarke also designed the Benton County Courthouse, the Massey Hotel, the Applegate Building, the Bank of Rogers, the old Rogers High School, the First Presbyterian Church, the Victory Theater, and several residences throughout Rogers. The building was completed in 1913.
Whitlow sold his interest to his remaining partners in 1927, and the company was renamed the Progressive Life Insurance Company. During the 1920s, the Press Publishing Company took over the basement and printed newspapers until it dissolved in 1966.
Between 1966 and 1982, many businesses were stationed in the building. In 1982, Collin Haynes took over and restored the building. From 1982 to 2000, multiple businesses, including a photography studio, rented space.
Then, in 2000, while finalizing plans for the new firm, the building caught the eye of our founding partners. It has served as the home of Miller, Butler, Schneider, Pawlik & Rozzell, PLLC, ever since.
Contact us Today! (479) 222-1537